WORKSHOP 1: Radio spectrum management — what’s trending in 2018
Thursday 14 June: 1.30-5.00pm
Peter Hilly — Managing Director, Spectrum Engineering
Andrew May — Licensing Manager, Spectrum Engineering
This workshop will provide valuable insights and updates for technical managers involved with frequency planning and licensing of radiocommunications services for their organisations or their clients, or for anyone seeking to better understand the radio regulatory functions administered by the ACMA.
An overview of the regulatory regime in Australia
This session will review the radiocommunications regulatory structure in Australia, the agencies, the agents, and its clients. It will outline the process and the elements of “rule making”, and the current licensing regimes.
An update of the Spectrum Reform initiative
Following acceptation of the recommendations of a report to the Minister, the Department of Communications and the Arts is progressing major reforms to spectrum management in Australia, including a radical reform of licensing. This has resulted in a draft Bill for a new Radiocommunications Act, likely to be introduced into Parliament in 2018.
What’s happening in the fixed service bands?
Topics will include:
- 800 MHz low capacity links — a radical new approach to ‘planning’
- Below 6 GHz — a vanishing resource
- E-band — it’s catching on, but what’s so special here?
Space service licensing
With the ACMA now seeking to divest itself from the day-to-day licensing activities for space services this work is now being picked up by accredited persons. The presenters will share with you what they have learned so far and how they go about this task.
Land mobile and point-multipoint (FAQs)
- The government/commercial/rail divide at 400 MHz
- An update on private LTE spectrum
- DGPS licensing
- Wide area channelsEmission designators (analogue to digital)
- Accuracy of site and antenna height information
- Ongoing opportunities for 25 kHz
Picking up hundred dollar bills off the factory floor! (Some tips and traps using the improved ACMA website facilities.)
- Correcting licence records
- Are you paying for licences you don’t need?
- Do you have all the licences you do need?
- Are you losing licences (and incurring additional costs) by not renewing on time?